Substitute teachers - General Teaching Council NI


If you want to work as a supply/substitute teacher in a grant–aided school in Northern Ireland, you must be registered with the Northern Ireland Substitute Teacher Register (NISTR).

NISTR is a free service which is operated by the Education Authority (EA). 

You must be registered with GTCNI before you can register with NISTR.

NISTR also carry out criminal records checks which can take a minimum of 8 weeks and you are advised to register with them as early as possible. 

You can register with NISTR by visiting their website, by email: or by phone: (028) 9056 6256

This site uses cookies for general analytics but not for advertising purposes. View our privacy policy to find out more. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time.